Monday, November 26, 2007

He was a vapid narcissist disguised as a cute but difficult dork

To pick up where I left off.

I did go out that next night, but it was an early one. Met up with friends. Drinks at Sullivan's. Early ride home.

Next night, threw a dinner party for my friend T's b-day, had three people plus me. We drank 7 bottles of wine between the four of us. It was a blast, and I am ever cognizant of the fact that I like drinking at my house/my friend's house more than I like going out.

Went to Philly. The trip I was dreading turned out to be, really, lovely. No drama. Monday night in DC at my ex hubby's - he and his wife were great hosts to mini me and I and broke up the trip nicely. Arrived in Philly the next day at noon. Shopping. My hugely, wonderfully preggers sis looking radiant and sweet - two words I rarely use to describe her. I cooked for 18 people on Thursday and my dad and I pulled off that 25 pound turkey and all the accoutrements quite well.

About 3/4 the way through that cooking, I broke into the Maker's. Had to. All the guests were drinking cosmos and martinins. I felt left out and also stressed. I was fairly lit when I decided to go out with my brother in law and his cousin.

Side note: the cousin was totally eyeing me all day. 5 minutes after arriving my brother in law was like, hey, CT over there digs you. I'm like, ahh okay. He looked cute, but in a boring, I am a sporty guy lunkhead kind of way. And he's like 28. He said I was cute in front of my brother in law and their grandmother, and her response was:

"You don't make enough money to date a woman like that..."

Well said, grandma, well said. I needed to hear that.

This fact, however, did not stop me later. Bourbon and proximity had me kissing him quite passionately AT THE BAR when my brother in law hit the head. Egads! What the hell. He's a former arena football player. He lives in the middle of PA somewhere.

Unfortunately, he likes me. He stayed at my sis' house (on the couch) and we all breakfasted together the next morning. He also watched The Little Mermaid with me and my niece who is 4. This is fine for me to do - I'm a mom, the little girl loves me to watch cartoons with her, I was hungover so 90 minutes on the couch seemed like a might fine way to pass the morning. He sat there and watch the whole thing, Then left. Then called his cousin three times to get my number and see if we were coming out that night. He'd drive 90 minutes to hang out with us.

That's not the end. Many texts. Several messages on MySpace. Oy Vey! I think we'll call him Arena Football.

Got a nice text exchange with Mr MLB on turkey day. Then he asked me out for Sat night but alas I wasn't back in town.

Got a nice text from Pirate Guy/Prison Break - finally - on turkey day. Then I got one on MySpace today. Game back on?

Concert boy asked me to a hockey game during last week but alas again I wasn't here. He asked me out while I was up in Philly for a game coming up this Friday. We're set for that. Then he texted me a bunch today. Then he called. He played the piano over the phone to me. Hmm. He's stepped up, perhaps? We'll see.

Writer boy from NYC called last night. Wanting to talk, wanting to share turkey day stories. We couldn't connect - I couldn't talk when he called and then he was out with friends. Text at end of the night that said:

Talk tomorrow? 'Night lovely...

To wrap things up, the quote in the title is from, of all things, the Grey's Anatomy episode last week. The real quote was:

My ex girlfriend was a vapid narcissist disguised as a nice girl.

I changed it, ever so slightly, because it fits so well as a description of jackass of all trades. But I don't really need to explain that to any of you.

No comments: