Friday, November 11, 2005

Time goes by so slowly (no it doesn't!)

I love that new song by Madonna. Must have watched the video on Virgin.net 10 times in the past week. Need to just go ahead and download the song to my iPod.

Sooo a lot has happened since I last wrote. I'll have to share random moments from the past two weeks rather than tell the linear story. (Both work and travel have gotten in the way of updates this week. I hate doing two jobs at once...)

After the Friday night where Ivy League met my daughter, we went out on a date that Saturday night. Started off at the Rockford for drinks - he had been there once and wanted to go again - and we also both wanted to go because I had heard (via my telephone gossip network) that my ex-fiance was there on a date. Ivy League's reaction to that was dude let's go and face him down. Might as well get the whole run into each other with our new people thing over with as it is bound to happen in this small and socially incestuous town.

Alas the ex fiance was gone when I arrived.

So we are sitting there at the bar with our bourbon and cokes and he somewhat randomly makes the statement:

I made some calls today...

Me, thinking, but not out loud: Good for you, using the telephone like a big boy. Push those buttons.
Him: And I told some girls that I wouldn't be calling them again.

Well alrighteeee then. Not at all expected. Hello commitment.

Usually its the girl that brings up the whole are we exclusive or not. He wasn't doing that directly, and he wasn't asking me to do anything. So it was a pretty cool move on his part to just get it out there and say hey, I am concentrating on you and just you.

I loved it. I had been thinking this, but had not acted upon it. I was, in all honestly, enjoying the attention from others. But I was aware of falling hard for this guy - really hard - like high school fairy tale hollywood movie show up in a limo and save me from this life and let's run off together and live in a hut on the beach in Tahiti sort of falling for. The other distractions and hotties in my life were there to keep me sane about him, and keep my confidence up.

The rest of that night was comfortable and full of sparks at the same time. We went to a private party where Bunny's boyfriend's band was playing -they were fabulous and sang a hilarious song about a blue Cadillac that had me and Ivy League just dying laughing. Bunny looked hot in her cowboy hat and mini-skirt, which she managed to get stuck in her thong coming out of the bathroom but which we quickly spotted for her (I doubt anyone else saw as people were pretty wasted at that point) and corrected. In typical fashion she laughed it off which is what makes her so wonderful to be around.

We went to a CD release party at a local club after that. And I got drunk. Surprise surprise. Told him I was falling in love with him. (Dumb dumb dumb.) and he said me too. (Egads.) That awkwardly hung in the air til we drank some more and then forgot about it and Bunny's ex-boyfriend talked Ivy League's ear off.

Bunny came walking over to me late in the night, after many shots, and in hugging me, we managed to fall down. Splat. Me on top of her. Her reaction? She just laid there and said, "We fell down." embarrassing. But this is not the first time we've landed on the floor together!

Thankfully, Ivy League was in the bathroom.

The next day, Ivy League asked me to go to Vegas with him again the week of Thanksgiving, even knowing that I have that UK trip planned. Indeed I was falling hard for him (and had prematurely said the I love you thing the night before) and I was realizing that perhaps London was not a good idea. I agreed to go, and told him that I couldn't go to London. Told him about Yorkshire Hottie, and he was flattered that I was giving up something to go with him to Vegas.

I made him a CD (DORKY) before I left for Palm Springs on Monday. The trip out there was fabulous - the event I ran went very well and was quite a bit of work and nervousness for two days - and when it was over I had some time to take advantage of the spa and the resort until I had to fly out the next day.

I think Ivy League missed me, as he wanted to see me when I landed Wednesday night at 10. He asked me what I was doing for actual Thanksgiving and proposed going to his sister's house.

Holiday travel. With family. This guy, when I knew him tangentially, was SUCH the playa. What is going on here?

The next weekend Ivy League and I were supposed to go to Miami together, but Wilma prevented that. So we planned a weekend in town together, or mostly together.

Friday night we went to a hockey game. While walking to the ATM(and away from Ivy League) my Yorkshire Hottie called.

Hmmm.

This has become an issue. I no longer live for the emails or messages or when he rings my mobile. I do miss the whole accent and the hello gorgeous and the idea of a hot British guy liking me, but the reality was that I really liked this guy here in town, this all-Americans male that's super smart and hot and maybe not quite as cool as Yorkshire but a much better fit overall.

I chicken out and say I have a bad signal and can't talk. I don't call him back. Weak! Lame!

Back at the game, Ivy League and I sit down at our seats (awesome seats - this guy totally knows how to plan dates and impress) and we notice a co-worker - one of the rare people we both know - sitting just two seats in front of us.

We look at each other, all deer in the headlights and panicked, and think oh well there goes keeping our relationship secret at work. She gets up and says hi to me, and I am quiet and acting suspicious because I am waiting for her to notice who is sitting next to me, and she's just chatting away with me. Then, many sentences into the conversation, she happens to look over and totally naturally says, "Hello XXXX."

Then, she does a double take, and you can see her brain working and the confusion and pseudo disappointment on her face.(She no doubt has a crush on him. All the single girls at work do. I can't blame them, I do too. I'm just the lucky one sitting with him.) And she looks at both of us and says,"awkward moment..." and leaves to get her beer.

We just laugh and wonder if we can convince her to stay quiet about it.

No comments: