Thursday, October 27, 2005

To quote Robert Smith: It's Friday - I'm in love

So Thursday I leave Ivy League hottie's building flying absolutely high - new job, saw the hottie twice today. Today was a good day.

But it gets somewhat better due to random Thursday night hottie moments.

I attend an alumni event that evening, connect with some people that went my alma mater who are older and younger than me (alas there was no one from any of my four years there) and also got to the meet the new college president in a very intimate setting. He seemed a little smitten with me, lots of looks during his speech to all of us directed at me, and he kissed me goodbye with a an open invitation to come visit him at the University any time.

While there - I got some very congratulatory texts from Ivy League - sweet, excited, supportive of my new job. Asking me to call him later (hmm I thought for sure he would have a date on a Thursday night.) So I call, and we talk all the way home while I am driving.

We then proceed to talk for over 2.5 hours that night. He says:

So we are going out on Saturday night. I suppose that means that I need to find something to do on Friday...?

Hmmm. Loaded statement. Several ways to respond:

Psycho: No - sit at home and think of me and nothing else til I am free.

Way too open minded but at the same time realistic: Yes - please go out and have an amazing time with any of the other (most likely younger and less encumbered in the baggage department) girls you see at this moment and I'll try really hard to not be thinking about all that while I am at home alone watching Hope and Faith in my suburban tract house eating rice cakes and drinking vitamin water. I really am cooler than all of this.

Cool and aloof - I seriously doubt that will be a problem for you and I also doubt you want to come hang out in the suburbs with me and my daughter.

Well, it occured to me as the synapses were firing in those few seconds that he was perhaps fishin' with his original statement, and he wanted to catch the latter part of response number three, so I put it out there.

And I was right. Long story short - we decided through almost an hour of talking - that that was the right thing to do. I summed it up with this statement, built on very carefully chosen words and tone:

I think, perhaps, before either one of us gets (long pause out of nervousness) any more (another pause) emotionally involved, you need to see that side of me and we need to see how the dynamic works between the three of us. Because you see cool single girl and you see hard at work girl but you haven't seen the mom side and its a big part of me. You may not like it, or you may dig it immensely.

His response was perfect:

Agree. You chose your words exactly how I would have said it...

To make things more crazy, during more conversation, we decided to go to Miami for the upcoming (Friday next) week on our first out of town trip together and stay one night with my sister. This shit is bananas.

So Friday I wake up full of anticipation and thinking I am beyond smitten...

No comments: