Monday, August 27, 2007

Sunday, from ex mother in laws to Nickelback, the hits keep comin'

Sunday morning.

I had to go pick up mini me and he grandmother (my ex mother in law) at 10 am. This was not the original plan. This was not supposed to happen til around 4. But plans change, kids need to go back to DC, and I am left entertaining and hosting my ex mother in law for a full 24 hours.

I wasn't particularly close to this woman when I was married to her son, and now? Well, she is mini-me's grandmother, and they get to spend another day together, and all I need to do is let her stay here and bring her to the airport on Monday morning. It was okay, just not what I had wanted my Sunday to be.

Sunday night, however, was full of surprises. I took mini-me, begrudgingly, to Nickelback with Harley Girl and her own mini-her. It was my mini-me's first concert, and it was a doozy. I saw:

  • A lot of people. None of whom I knew. Did not run into a single person I knew. Odd for me, but maybe not, considering the crowd.
  • The crowd. The crowd. There was a not so diverse crowd. Most people were aged 18-25, and particularly cheesy. Pretty white. The 24 year old version of me would never have been at this concert, for sure.
  • A lot of rednecks. Lots of people from Fayetteville and Garner, knowhutimean?
  • A weird guy with yacht hair and khakis. Clearly he had lost his way and thought he was coming to see DMB.
  • A girl wearing a shirt that said "Little Miss Trouble." I clearly got the trouble part. However, there was nothing little about her and clearly she had not missed any meals in the last 20 years.
  • Lots of tits. Lots of girls flashing the camera, just before and during Nickelback's set. Wow. I told the girls, "Don't be that girl when you are older..." They won't listen I bet, but I least I did my job and warned them not to.
  • Girls, about 15, smoking in the bathroom. It bothered me a bit. Someone had to give them those cigarettes....

So now comes the funny part. I took mini me to this, but really don't like the songs too much with the exception for "I know who you are" (I like your pants around your feet, I like the dirt that's on your knees...) The concert started, and I looked over, and there's my mini-me, wearing her black t-shirt, hands in the air, screaming, looking like she has been going to concerts her whole life. Ahhh this is good. I'm gonna remember this. She's never gonna forget it.

I loved the concert.

I did.

Really.

They were good. They sounded good. They played well. There was pyrotechnics, fire, sing along parts, lots of good conversation with the crowd ( and more than "we love you Raleigh") and the songs were just FUN. They covered Elton John's Saturday Night. They did my two favorite songs at the end. The live version of Someday gave me chills up my neck, with the crowd singing along. I was right there with them. I jumped in and the water was just fine. I sang every word to that song Someday, and it was a weird sort of therapy for me, thinking back on both situations with D the fiancee and the Social Moron while singing the words. It was a song that was popular when the fiancee and I broke up, but it played out more to the situation with he who should not be named. I think, in the end, that singing some of these song lines just ended up being a sort of meditation to the universe for me, the music was loud, it was dark, it was crowded, I was dancing. Everyone around was singing as loud as they could. Everything just was really, really good at those moments. I didn't want to be anywhere else. The best moments:

  • How the hell did we wind up like this?
  • You're the only one who knows that...
  • If everyone loved, and nobody lied...
  • Show me what its like to be the last one standing...
  • I hate that places that we go, I hate the people that you know...

I would say there were 6 songs - all of them the big radio hits - that were really, really amazing to hear. Just to sing along with mini-me and mini-harley, just to sing out in general.

Photograph was not one of them. I still fucking hate that song.

The lead singer really knows how to drop an f-bomb. Wow did the girls get an earful. I know my coolness meter has now dropped to an all time low, but I clearly don't give a fuck. I loved that show. Live music gets me. They were LOUD. I think I'm a fan now. How could I not be?

Mini-me's take on the way home?

"God mom, that was just awesome."

No comments: